Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Food Obsession

We're baaaack! For the past week, we've been in Los Angeles for my sister's birthday celebration. It was indeed a much needed vacation. While we enjoyed every eatery spots out there, I'm in a way relieved to be back home. Home sweet home. During our time in Southern Ca we ventured high and low to find some of the most comforting food, yummiest food trucks, Asian fusion at it's best and the sweetest desserts any food lover can ask for. I've compiled reviews of some of my favorite joints we visited for your viewing pleasure.

Roscoe's Chicken & Waffles: Everyone who's been to Los Angeles has been or heard about their famous chicken & waffles. Once you take that very first bite of the piping hot fried chicken together along with the sweet, vanilla infused waffle, your tongue honestly will feel like they're in heaven. It's always a must stop for us despite the aftermath has you feeling of food coma. I highly recommend the Carol C. Special with gravy on the side. My hubby also loves their sweet candied yams!
Kogi BBQ: We followed the trucks 4 times and out of the 4, 3 we we're successful. Need I say more? It was one of the best and most unique food I ever had. We had it 3 days straight and one of the days, we decided to have it late night but with 120 people ahead of us and the crisp night, we decided to forgo and try again the next day. I tried the short rib tacos and the short rib burrito. The tacos we're good but the short rib burrito was out of this world. The burrito was filled with short rib BBQ, eggs, noodles, hash brown and pickled veggies. My tongue was dancing! The only thing I recommend is if you're not an onion lover, ask for no onions!
Diddy Riese: I've been here before and the very first time I was very disappointed. I decided to give it another try. This time, my cookie was much softer and it definitely satisfied my sweet tooth. $1.50 for a cookie sandwich is quite a deal but parking price was insane. It kinda defeats the purpose of the $1.50 ice cream sandwiches and the $0.39 cookies.
Griddle Cafe: I've never been to a more loud & live diner like Griddle Cafe. While the savory food was good, the sweet pancakes, waffles & french toast we're even better. I highly recommend the strawberries and cream waffles (light & airy waffles accommodated with the fresh strawberries and whip cream hit the right spots) and the Nutella french toast (to die for esp if you're a Nutella lover). My only thought was Griddle Cafe is not recommended for the kiddies. Not much room for high chairs and the music is too loud for their small eardrums.
Piccomolo Italian Ice Cream: Everyone who knows me, knows how much I love gelato. It's one of my favorite desserts and this spot did not disappoint. Located in Old Town Pasadena. Although, it was very small (not stroller friendly) and pretty much a hole in the wall (almost walked pass by it) the home-made flavors surely made up for it. My favorites we're the Pistachio and Hazelnut flavor. Absolutely yummy!
Soowon Galbi Korean BBQ: Hands down one of the best Korean BBQ restaurants I've been too. The servers we're super polite and attentive. The restaurant was clean (a must), baby friendly and best of all the food was amaaazing. The little sides you get we're all you can eat and I loved their Korean pancakes and potatoes. We ordered the Combo B which consisted of Brisket, Pork, Steak, marinated meat. My favorite was the brisket and we'll definitely be back here the next time we're in Southern Ca.
Porto's Bakery & Cafe: I can always rely on Porto's for the best pastries. Not only the prices are reasonable but the variety is abundance. This time instead of the traditional Cheese Rolls, I opted for the Spinach & Feta danish which was savory but a fresh taste on the palate. I also recommend their potato balls (don't forget the Tapatio hot sauce), chocolate croissant, horchata shake and their ham and cheese croissant sandwich. A must stop if you're in the Burbank or Glendale area!
Milk Cafe: After finding this cafe on yelp which was highly reviewed, I couldn't wait to try it. On our last night, we decided to give it a try. We ordered the Toffee macaron ice cream cookie sandwich, the Strawberry shortbread ice cream bar, Ice Cream Sundae, the Blue Velvet cake, and the bite size red velvet cupcakes. All was good but on the pricey side. Each ice cream concoction was $4.50-$6.00 and the slice of blue velvet was $5.00 and each bite size was $0.75 and literally bite size. Although it quite hit the sweet spot, I doubt I'll be back. I definitely my Sprinkles cupcakes a lot more. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment